Friday, October 12, 2012

Celebrating Finding Ray Charles

I awoke this morning at 8:15 to the sweet sound of San Geraldo's voice, "Mitchell, there's a procession headed down the street toward us right now."

THE VIRGIN IS ON HER WAY.

THIS ALTAR BOY LED WITH AN OBVIOUSLY VERY HOLY ITEM.

I jumped out of bed, grateful for the wake-up call. Our sculptor friend, José, told me the other day that he would be carrying something in a procession this morning for his brotherhood, Nuestra Señora del Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary). It didn't dawn on me to ask José the occasion. However, I did ask him what time and I was told 11 a.m. (not the crack of dawn). What he didn't clarify was that 11 a.m. was the return trip from Monasterio de Santa Rosalía, the convent down the street from us. The procession left from the Chapel of the Humeros at 7 a.m.! Fortunately, San Geraldo didn't sleep in this morning and heard the approach. I threw on some nearby clothes (I'll have to share that combination with you one of these days) and I ran out on the balcony. We were downstairs before 10:30 for breakfast, so I got shots of the return trip at street-level.


What Day Is This?
I bumped into some neighbors and was reminded that today is Spain's National Day (Fiesta Nacional de España), celebrated in honor of the day in 1492 that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America. The day is also dedicated to Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar), the patron saint of all Hispanic people. She's also the Patron Saint of the Spanish Civil Guard (the federal police force), so the day triples as the Day of the Armed Forces, as well. If you've been following my blog for more than a year, I'm certain you remembered all this from last year's post (even though I did not).

NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL ROSARIO ON HER WAY HOME AROUND 11:15.

AND, FINALLLY, OUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SCULPTOR.

If you weren't aware of why Christopher Columbus really wanted to discover America, click here to check out the Youtube video where Flip Wilson explains it all.

15 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Thanks for the Flip Wilson video. I had forgotten how funny he is.

    BTW, did you wear stripes and plaids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo:
      Yes, it was plaids and stripes, and I think I pulled it off quite well! You'll soon see.

      Delete
  2. amazing pics as always friend :) and I bet you carried the mix of paterns off to perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monkey Man:
      I actually kind of liked my mix of patterns.

      Delete
  3. I love that Spain is managing to preserve it's past so well, especially the pomp and spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were in Ohio changing out our t-shirts etc, I told Bill I should find a pair of outrageous shorts... blatantly plaid... maybe hot pink... and some kind of striped shirt... irridescent blue? so I could wear that when we meet you when we get to Seville. Damn! I couldn't find either in my excess supply bins. Of course... Bill just rolled his eyes and ignored me ;-) But... beware.... you might meet pomp and spectacle come January.... No past... but no future either ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd Essay:
      I'll have to find a really "interesting" combination myself and we can pose for a formal portrait!

      Delete
  5. Is it blasphemous to say that I find that little holy item kind of creepy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners:
      It's not blasphemous in my book. (But, then I prefer the encyclopedia to the bible.) I have to find out what that little figure was. It looked like it was supposed to be Jesus and I wonder if it was made from a relic (like the bone of a saint).

      Delete
  6. Yeah, our spacious skies and Ray Charles are what lured him over this way. I still go by the story that my Viking ancestors beat him to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Sparrow:
      Well, it's a fact your Viking ancestors were there first. They just didn't find Ray Charles.

      Delete
  7. There's always an interesting procession to follow when we read Mitchell's blog! It's amazing. Do you think that there are this many processions this frequently elsewhere in España, también? Is Sevilla the center of processions for some reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judeet:
      Sevilla definitely has a huge number, but I don't know if it's more than other big cities in Spain. I can hear one in the distance right now (but I'm too lazy to go find it), and I'm about to post photos from one we stumbled on last night.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!