Thursday, July 23, 2015

Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones

I'm not really sure anymore what My Mother The Dowager Duchess's hipbone is connected to, but I think there was a T11 kyphoplasty, T11–L3 hardware fusion; L2–L3 and L1–L2 laminectomy and decompression with spinal cord monitoring.

(Click to 'decompress' the images. No anesthesia needed.)

TUESDAY: THE VIEW OF THE DUCHESS'S HOME FROM HER HOSPITAL ROOM. 

No matter what is connected to what, what is screwed to what, what is decompressed and laminated (or un-laminated), after five hours on the operating table, The Dowager Duchess came through it all. She'll be in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit for a few days and we're hopeful that recovery will be as successful as surgery.

WEDNESDAY: THE MANHATTAN SKYLINE FROM THE INTENSIVE CARE UNIT.

Thank you for your kindness of heart and spirit. Your messages enabled my mother to head into surgery feeling grateful and even more loved. She was relaxed and positive this morning. Her final urgent instruction to me before being wheeled into surgery was to get her flowers and potted plants from her room and make sure they made it to intensive care. Priorities.


It seems things might be slightly more complex than this song would have you believe:

12 comments:

  1. My Mother had a laminectomy that greatly reduced her pain level for a number of years. Although her surgery was not as complex as all that your Mother had, the recovery period was amazingly short with immediate help for her back. The incision was painful, but that pain was manageable. I do hope DD has a similar experience. Thanks for the music; I knew something was missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery and positive results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your Mom made it through surgery in good spirits. Now for the healing! Keep your spirits up too - sometimes difficult in times like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news! Love the skyline pix. At first I thought the skinny thing over by the Citicorp Center was a smokestack in Brooklyn, then I remembered that it's probably one of those pencil-thin residential towers I've been reading about. Very strange looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is very long surgery. I am pleased to hear it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad it went well Mitchell; fingers are crossed that her amazing joie de vivre will speed her recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking good thoughts for the DD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a laminectomy, fixation, fusion and decompression 70 days ago, on the middle of my spine (T-9) for compress from a benign tumor. The first couple of weeks were rough, physical therapy has really helped. I am walking without a cane for the first time in 8 months (I waited too long and was in really bad shape when I finally went for help.) Reassure her it will all be better in a few weeks and that she needs to work at it, but she can be back stronger then before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Checking in to see how your Mom is faring. Relief at how well she came out of surgery. The picture of her a couple posts back shows what a naturally youthful looking beauty she is to this day.
    You and San Geraldo take care of yourselves too. It can be physically & emotionally taxing spending day after day in hospitals & rehab facilities. But...I wouldn't have been anywhere else with my late parents!
    There's a lot of love and laughter in your family to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!