Monday, December 7, 2015

Spanish Lessons With Marina? Maybe Not.


This morning while having coffee at La Esquinita (click here), we had a great visit with one of the staff. Her name is Marina. She's one of those special people whose smile, warmth, and energy make any day better.

La Esquinita is in the process of decorating for Christmas. I didn't know the Spanish word for garland, so I asked Marina. She said, "Guirlanda." I told her it was "garland" in English and she said she liked the sound of the English word better. She said guirlanda was difficult to pronounce and she exaggerated the pronunciation. "Guirl-land-da."

However, a moment later, a mildly puzzled and pensive expression appeared on Marina's beautiful face.

I ASKED MARINA IF I COULD TAKE HER PICTURE FOR MY BLOG.
SHE SAID OF COURSE, BUT PULLED OUT HER LIPSTICK FOR A TOUCH-UP (SHE DIDN'T NEED IT).
PERFECT WITH OR WITHOUT THE LIPSTICK.

Pointing at the garland, she called across (in Spanish) to the bartender, "Gonzalo, what's the word for this? Guirlanda, correct?"

Gonzalo burst out laughing, shook his head at Marina, and said, "Guirnalda! Guir-NAL-da!"

GONZALO IN BACKGROUND. "GUIRNALDA! GUIR-NAL-DA!"

I told Marina her Spanish appeared to be similar to San Geraldo's English.

18 comments:

  1. LOL! Yes, Marina and Jerry ought to get together and share their wealth of English and Spanish pronunciation. Could prove very interesting and worthy of a sitcom.
    Marina does have a wonderful smile alright!!
    Been to the beach for a walk yet? Remember those negative ions are the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Can you imagine the conversations?!? I'm out for a walk almost every day. And Jerry and I have a great walk to and from the gym throughout the week. I'm doing my best. As for the beach. Not very far to go to "have been" there. I have so many photos of my walks and views that I could bore you for the rest of our lives!

      Delete
  2. You have me dancing like a madman here, Mitch.

    Monday morning, Marina, Gipsy Kings and guirlnalda (my 1st Spanish word ever!)

    Cheers as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      OK, if that's your first Spanish word, I'd better give it to you correctly... it's guirnalda (no L before the N); I think I initially had a typo in my labels. And now you know the word for "wreath," as well! Gipsy Kings are so talented!

      Delete
  3. You must have quite an engaging personality to be so warmly received by so many locals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I've become more outgoing in recent years, especially since coming to Spain. It's been its own reward.

      Delete
  4. At least it wasn't sexual, the words I get out wrong so often are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marina has one of the happiest faces I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew:
      Huge energy and she smiles and laughs at the drop of a hat.

      Delete
  6. Well of course I had to get on Google Translate and see what guirlanda meant... it came up "wreath"... so then I entered guirnalda.... wreath again. Next I went to my Vox dictionary.... guirlanda isn't even in there. Do you think Jerry had anything to do with those Google translate phrases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      If you look garland, you should get guirnalda. When you enter guirLANDA, you get "wreath," because it's giving you the translation for the word it thinks you meant, "guirNALDA." And, just like with the word for squash, guirnalda becomes kind of generic.

      Delete
  7. Mitchell I love Gipsy King

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - just think of the potential conversations between Marina and SG! You have a virtually unlimited supply of blog fuel there. Plus they both have wonderful smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      We expect to see her again Thursday morning. We'll see what other words she canNOT teach us.

      Delete
  9. She has such a lovely smile!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!