Monday, November 28, 2016

Sorry, We're Closed

This is the time of year when many restaurants around town take a break. It's the slowest season, so a good time to close for a month. This year, Meson Salvador, our home away from home, is doing a major renovation and will have been closed about 7 weeks by the time they reopen next week. Abrevaero was closed for a month and returned last week. (We've already been there four times.)

FIDEUA PASTA GAMBAS.
(A SEAFOOD DISH FROM THE COAST OF VALENCIA)

Our adored friend Jessica is moving on to her new career in events planning and won't return to Sandpiper when they reopen after Christmas. It won't be the same without her (exemplified by the fact that most customers call the place "Jessica's").

CHULETON A LA PARILLA (RIB STEAK ON A HOT STONE PLATE).
THAT'S ME DOING THE COOKING!!!

We've been complaining — a lot — that "everything" is closed. As you can imagine, we suffered terribly having only Santorini (Greek), Primavera (Italian and Spanish), Bing (Asian Fusion), and a handful (or three handfuls) of other places to go.

I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT'S CALLED.
I ONLY HAD IT FOR DESSERT THREE TIMES LAST WEEK.

Just click the images to see how great has been our suffering. (If I remember what it is, I've told you below the photo. If I don't remember, don't ask; that would be cooking.)

LIMONCELLO FOR DIGESTION. (I SHARED.)










OUR FRIEND PEDRO MUST HAVE BEEN WORRIED ABOUT US.
HE COOKED A CARE PACKAGE OF COCIDO (STEW).
PUMPKIN MUFFIN (CARE PACKAGE) BY PEDRO.
WE ATE HIS PUMPKIN PIE BEFORE I COULD GET TO MY CAMERA.
PEDRO REALLY CAN COOK!

26 comments:

  1. Well, I do have to ask. After the limoncello there are several dishes without labels. I am very disappointed. How can we, your readers, possibly eat vicariously if we don't know what we're seeing/tasting? I think I see ravioli, cheesecake and something that looks like KungPau Chicken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank:
      Yes, there was meat ravioli; and stuffed fish (with cheese and other seafood), and Kung Pao chicken, and seafood pasta and OMG freshly baked CHEESECAKE TO DIE FOR.

      Delete
  2. I want all of that when I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Demon! You have made my mouth water again. Showcasing all of those dishes especially the desserts which I am not allowed.
    Mentioning closed eateries the funniest notice I ever saw was one on the door of a café in Ireland many years ago which said "CLOSED FOR LUNCH - back at 2pm"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heron:
      That WOULD be an interesting sign to see. We have have a lot of restaurant terraces enclosed in vinyl panels (city ordinance requires them soon to be replaced with glass curtains). When restaurants are closed, they open all the side panels and leave the door locked. Security.

      Delete
  4. I love when you share your Food pron pictures, BUT ....

    LIMONCELLO FOR DIGESTION?

    Digestion! I love that! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      The jury is out (well, probably not out, but who cares what they decided), Limoncello is called a digestivo and that's the only reason I drink it. Honest. And drinking two is even better for digestion. I think the beneficial effects are outweighed when you down five or six.

      Delete
  5. I want to starve myself like you do, or at least have Pedro bring me fabulous care packages!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine:
      Pedro must have noticed how undernourished we were looking.

      Delete
  6. Your're killin me, Mitch, you're killin me! (Cramer to Jerry Seinfeld)
    With all those pics of such good food!
    Would love to follow you two around, discretely of course, and discover these yummy places to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      You guys could join us and discretion is not in our vocabulary.

      Delete
  7. Is SG's closed for the season, too? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Great question. It seems that way. He just hasn't been in the mood to cook since our return from New York. We actually had a home-cooked meal (by Jerry) last night for the first time in a long, long time.

      Delete
  8. it all looks so good! esp. the limoncello...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      And San Geraldo doesn't drink it, so there would have been one for you (as opposed to two for me).

      Delete
  9. I'd need to walk miles and miles to burn off all those calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Yep. I have a genetic predisposition for all those calories.

      Delete
  10. At first glance I thought the first picture was small worms and grubs!!!! That is a lot of food. I'm still stuffed from Thanksgiving, so pardon if I don't par take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      That was a delicious pasta (and now I may never eat it again, thanks)! We didn't have a Thanksgiving dinner so we're still not satiated.

      Delete
  11. It all looks delicious (except the limoncello, which I don't like).... At first I thought this was all your creation... then thought... nobody puts artistic flourishes on the plates they fix at home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      So, Bill could have your limoncello and I could have Jerry's. You thought it was MY creation? And the only reason you realized it wasn't was because of the artistic flourishes?!? Sweetheart, the only thing I would ever put on a plate is an artistic flourish!

      Delete
  12. I guess closed restaurants is the downside of living in a seasonally popular place. Still, if this is all you have to worry about, life is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn:
      And, there are always plenty open, obviously. But we really have missed Meson Salvador!

      Delete
  13. Jennifer:
    I hate that! And it's always the Pulitzer Prize Winning comment that disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to see the double-blind studies limoncello helps digestion.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!