Saturday, February 5, 2011

All Us Cats Is Happy

THELMA THREE WEEKS AGO GETTING READY FOR THE TRIP TO SPAIN.

We made it back to LA last night in one piece (well, two pieces if you don't count the luggage I guess) an hour earlier than scheduled, which enabled us to catch the shuttle bus back to Irvine two hours earlier than expected.  That got us home at 9 p.m. instead of 11 p.m. (23.5 hours after leaving our hotel in Sevilla).  Our cats, Dobie and Thelma, were very happy to see us.  At least Thelma, nearly 3, was obviously happy to see us.

WELCOME HOME.  SHE'S SO EASY.

We know Dobie, nearly 15, is also happy we're home, but he gives us a lot of attitude for the first hour whenever we return from a trip.  Last night was no different.

DOBIE. 'OH.  HAVE YOU BEEN AWAY?  I HADN'T NOTICED.'

When my learning-disabled brother, Chuck, flew from New York to Boston to visit me (a 43-minute flight) way back in 1981, I had great plans for his three-day visit.  When I picked him up at the airport, I listed off all the things we were going to do.  He put his hand up and said, "Wait a minute.  Wait a minute.  I got jet lag, ya know!"

CHUCK'S VISIT LAST YEAR.  JET LAG IS NOT BAD WHEN THERE'S A GAME TO CATCH.

Well, Jerry and I know how Chuck felt.  We slept sporadically through the night; actually better than we expected to sleep.  We headed to Peet's for coffee late morning and were then ready for naps.  I held off a bit, but took a two-hour nap this afternoon.  It will be interesting to see how Jerry adjusts to being back to work Monday morning (for his last 15 days).

Although, it's nice to be home, I missed Spain this morning.  I like sleeping in my own bed (I'm not used to sleeping around).  But, I missed walking in Sevilla to Nostalgia for the best café con leche.  I missed the challenge of a new city, a new way of life, and a new language.  For these next few months, I'll have to get used to driving again to Peet's for café Americano (or walking the 1-1/2 miles each way when I've got the time and the inclination).  The manager at Peet's spent much of her childhood in Marbella and the Canary Islands.  Maybe I can practice my Spanish with her.

SEVILLA.  ON OUR WAY BACK FROM DINNER TUESDAY.

So, the trip to Sevilla was a success.  We had an amazing vacation.  We got to know and fall in love with the city.  We got to explore Jerez de la Frontera, fall in love with that city, but learn it's not where we want to live.  And we got enough of a glimpse of Málaga to know it IS where we want to live.  We had the unexpected joy of meeting kind, funny, warm, charming, intelligent, enlightened people and we made wonderful new friends.

Now, Jerry will get back to updating his spreadsheets.  I will get onto Google maps to start cyber-exploring Málaga in depth.  And I'm already back to looking around the house and stewing about what to do with all this stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!