Saturday, December 8, 2012

Caterwauling, Catalina, and Cats

Admittedly, San Geraldo did not actually caterwaul this week. But he came close. We went to the dentist Wednesday to have our teeth cleaned. San Geraldo doesn't like to go to the dentist. I, on the other hand, have always enjoyed it. For me, there was nothing better than taking time off from work to sit in that "comfy chair" for an hour, not required to speak, not required to do anything at all.

Wednesday, we each had our very own hygienist. San Geraldo was taken in a few minutes before me (if I go first, he might escape). I explained in advance that he's a terrible patient. It didn't go well. The office is very high-tech and the hygienists use machines for the entire cleaning process (none of that manual scraping). When the tool is placed against the teeth, it makes the same unfortunate sound as the dentist's drill. San Geraldo has never allowed that kind of equipment near his mouth — while he's still conscious. I heard him wail, "Miiiiiii-tchell!" I got up from my comfy chair and went in to find a very unhappy San Geraldo and a very concerned hygienist. I told the hygienist San Geraldo doesn't like the noise, but also doesn't like the feeling of the vibration against his teeth (anyway, some people do say it hurts). She used some topical anesthetic and I went back to my seat in the other room. A moment later the hygienist came in distraught because San Geraldo had put up his hands, gotten out of his seat, and gone back to the waiting room. I apologized and told her he was really a very nice person, just not a very good patient.

PART OF MY SPANISH SMILE.

The result: The new technology took half the time and I have a mouthful of clean teeth. San Geraldo has three clean teeth (one side only) and is scheduled to go back later this month for a complete cleaning. Done personally by the dentist himself. After "the patient" is completely anesthetized.

Catalina
We had a surprisingly pleasant walk home, followed by dinner that night at Catalina Casa de Comidas. That made everything all better. Catalina always does. There was a new dish, which was a casserole of garbanzos and other good things (see photo below). It would have made a perfect meal on its own. But, of course, San Geraldo and I had three other dishes, including our standby "rollitos," a special creation of Chef Gonzalo's.

SAN GERALDO HATES OLIVES, BUT EVEN HE LIKED THESE (A LITTLE).
(AT LEAST THIS TIME HE DIDN'T SPIT OUT THE HALF HE TASTED.)

A NEW DISH: CASSEROLE OF GARBANZOS,  SAUSAGE, AND POTATO, WITH A FRIED EGG.
SOUNDED GOOD; TASTED EVEN BETTER.

ROLLITOS. OUR FAVORITE.
(SKEWERED, SHRIMP, IBERIAN HAM, CHEESE, AND OTHER GOOD STUFF.)

Cats
I'm sure some of you are not as in love with "the boys" as are we. Bear with me. They were going after a fly last night in my bathroom and I found it very entertaining. Be thankful I didn't include the entire series of a dozen photos.

I CHASE RAINBOWS. THE CATS CHASE FLIES.
(AND THEY LEAVE PAW PRINTS ON MY CLEAN MIRROR!)

DUDO SOON FOUND MY CAMERA AND ME MORE INTERESTING THAN THE FLY. (NOT SO MOOSE.)

26 comments:

  1. What's that you say, Mitch? You actually ENJOY going to the dentist? Would you like to come round here when it's next my turn?

    I am NOT 'thankful' that you haven't shown us the rest of your dozen pussy pics. In fact I'm distraught at what I'm missing - 'cos these two are sure winners.
    Isn't it fascinating how cats take their 'play' so seriously? But for them, of course, it's more hunting and winning than playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      If I could, I would gladly go for you -- as long as it's just another cleaning!

      I knew YOU would like the cat pictures and would want more. Plenty more to come, I promise.

      Delete
  2. Just so you know, the portion of the dental photo showing on your Facebook posting looks like something else. Watching kitties chasing something is one of my favorite pastimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Sparrow:
      I looked at that Facebook detail shot and I think I know what you're thinking. Wonder if anyone else will think the same thing or if it's only your dirty mind!

      I have so many photos (and failed videos) of these cats!

      Delete
  3. I'm still trying to figure out what else your dental work looks like.... I love watching cats so you could never post too many photos of their antics. As for that food... it all looks so good, especially the shrimp wraps. Now... back to the dental work and my imagination...................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd Essay:
      If you look at the detail shown on Facebook and then, I think, imagine the two teeth are legs, I think, and then work your way up to the v-shaped gums that are visible, I think... But then I didn't say it, Ms. Sparrow the Shameless Hussy did!

      The rollitos are unbelievably delicious. The waitress says she's going to have order sheets pre-printed for us that have rollitos at the top so she doesn't have to write it every time.

      Delete
  4. For a minute there I thought you'd walked off with my cats, but then realised yours are whiter than mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen:
      Cousins! I've seen them called European Shorthairs and specifically European Black & Whites (since most European Shorthairs pictured are Tabby). Dudo has more white than Moose, which makes them easy to tell apart.

      Delete
  5. Oh Jerry...I feel for you...dentists are satan's spawn...aren't they? I feel for you Jerry completely!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      Jerry is very grateful for your comment. It's amazing how many people I've spoken with agree with you both.

      Delete
  6. A couple of wimps if you ask me!! lol Kidding really, dentists to me are a necessary evil. Jerry and Ron have this in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I don't understand the problem myself. My sister used to start crying the minute the dentist walked into the room.

      Delete
  7. I also hate the dentist, mostly because I inherited bad teeth from both parents. (They both had false teeth by age 30...I kid you not!) I currently have seven caps and each and every time I go, they find something wrong with my teeth.

    Bing, on the other hand? She's never even had a CAVITY!

    ARGH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria:
      I didn't take good care of my teeth when I was in my 20s, but I guess I lucked out with a decent (healthy) set. The smile may not be perfect, but it's not going anywhere -- for a while at least. I have a friend with your same problem. She's now got I think 8 implants and her bone is so poor that she's had two of the implants replaced! In that case, I'm sure I would hate the dentist, too.

      Delete
  8. Those Rollitos, I´ve got fine memories of them. We ordered them twice because they tasted so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter:
      And if you come back and we return to Catalina, I guarantee you will have them again!

      Delete
  9. Poor San Geraldo!
    Maybe a smack to the head with a cartoon frying pan next time?

    Rollitos? Yum!

    And that last picture is amazing. I love that cat face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      Dudo is very photogenic and he willingly poses, too. Moose is also photogenic but quite often walks away the minute I pull out the camera.

      Jerry's sister calls that frying pack to the head a "smuck"; no one knows why. But I might try it next time.

      Delete
  10. Such a nice boy, John. You make your mother proud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Kisatrtle:
      Dudo is definitely cute. And he was especially so this morning when San Geraldo caught him pulling the weather stripping from beneath one of the balcony doors. Moose sat staring and then turned to us wide-eyed as if to say, "Do you SEE that? I don't do things like THAT! He's bad!" Of course, I caught Moose climbing my shower curtain the other day.

      Delete
  12. Victor:
    That dish you describe sounds delicious. I wonder if I can get San Geraldo to make some version. I think he'd love it too.

    San Geraldo is clearly not alone in his dislike for dental visits. It's a good thing he's got decent teeth. I actually had my fillings when I was 17 without Novacaine. I also like to watch when blood is drawn or when I get my flu shot. But don't tell me what you did in the bathroom! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're always posting photos of the most amazing food!! And I loooove your kitties. More more more! My Emily-kitty has been going nuts chasing flies lately (not that we should have flies in December!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee:
      I keep wondering why we still have flies, but if YOU still have them, then of course we would still have them here.

      I washed one shower curtain today. I'm waiting for Dudo and Moose to pull down the other one. If it's still in one piece, I'll wash it too. Gotta love 'em.

      Delete
  14. I think San Geraldo needs one of those TLC dentist offices! And I love your cat photos! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Jenners! I just added some more cat pictures.

      Yes, San Geraldo definitely needs one of those TLC dentist offices. We should just look for one that specializes in pediatric dentistry.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!