Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Just Add Cold Water

We decided to turn the water heater on for two hours at a time to get enough hot water for our use. "F" has been useless in getting the final serious leak repaired, getting other repairs done, and the water heater fully functional. Yesterday, after "F" appeared surprised that we still had problems (problems I explained to him last Wednesday and then wrote up and emailed to him Thursday, and all of which he agreed to fix), he gave me the name and phone number of the insurance company rep, "A," so I could simply take care of it all myself. I phoned "A" today. He asked why I couldn't just use the water heater. I explained that the thermostat appears to be broken, which means that the water just gets hotter and hotter with no control and apparently no limit.

"A" said, "Well, can't you just mix it in the sink with cold water?"

Pause for it to sink in...

I painfully explained to "A" that the problem is not that the water is too hot to put our hands in. The problem is that the water eventually begins to boil in the tank, which then forces it into the pipes, which will then cause another explosion in the pipes. I don't think he understands. And no one seems concerned that there was hot water in the toilet tanks just before the explosion.

If this goes nowhere tomorrow, we will call our own repair people and deduct the costs from our final rent payment. We've been planning a move to the beach for early fall. I haven't mentioned it before because we haven't figured it out yet. Lots more to come once we make some decisions. An interesting opportunity has arisen, which puts us up in the air until we know where it will lead. Hopefully soon. In the meantime, we'll just add cold water.

A GLIMPSE OF THE CATHEDRAL AND GIRALDA. 

Meanwhile, I had four or five days to relax and ignore the problems. Our nephew Matt and his wife Lindy were here and we spent the days wandering the city and the nights having amazing meals. Their visit kept me in mind of how lucky we are to have the opportunity to live in a place like this. It also reminded me how lucky we are to have the family we do. Matt and Lindy headed off Tuesday afternoon to continue their Spanish adventure. We've been missing them ever since.

SAN GERALDO AND "THE FAMILY WE'D CHOOSE IF THEY WEREN'T ALREADY OURS."
AT LOS NIÑOS DEL FLOR FOR BREAKFAST.

FOR SOME REASON, PEOPLE COULD TELL LINDY WASN'T FROM AROUND HERE.

WALKING WITH MATT AND LINDY. BARRIO SANTA CRUZ (THE OLD JEWISH QUARTER).
THE STREET CONTINUES THROUGH THE ARCHWAY.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE HOUSES IN BARRIO SANTA CRUZ.

BORDERING THE GARDENS OF MURILLO.

BEHIND RAILING: THE REMAINS OF THE MORE THAN 2,000-YEAR-OLD ROMAN TEMPLE.
FOREGROUND: MARBLE COLUMNS OF 19TH CENTURY HOUSE NEXT DOOR.

MATT & LINDY ON THE ROOFTOP OF THEIR HOTEL (RECENTLY, OUR HOTEL, TOO).

AT TRIANA'S PUBLIC MARKET. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS.
I'M SURE I CAN COUNT ON YOU TO TELL ME.

20 comments:

  1. Bill said today "I'm ready to go now".... and he hadn't even seen your photos of today. I'm not even an artist but they make me want to drag out paints and brushes and.... create. I see that we'll be leaving the week of Semana Santa so maybe we'll be there for some of the "happenings".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd Essay:
      You'll see plenty before you leave during Semana Santa. Many of the churches welcome visitors the week before to see the "floats" ready to go. Also, lots of practicing on the streets. Unbelievable.

      Delete
  2. Every time you post photos like these I am just so awestruck at the beauty of the city that you live in. How wise of you both to choose to move there! And no, I don't know what that strange looking stuff in the bottom photo is but I don't like the look of it. It looks like tentacles - half animal, half vegetable!

    As for your water situation - you are showing amazing forbearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith:
      I am daily awestruck by this city. It makes our recent water problems tolerable, but things will be fine again soon.

      I asked the vendor (twice) what that vegetable-thing was. She spoke so quickly and in such slurry dialect, I couldn't understand well enough to write it down. I was too embarrassed to ask a third time.

      Delete
  3. Wow - I'm just speechless that your "landlord" (slumlord is more like it) has not managed to get competent repair people to fix your leaks and hot water heater! You're being very patient - i'm sure I'd be screaming at them by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole:
      Sadly, the building manager is just not up to the job. We'll get there. We've now taken to turning on the water heater and then turning it off before the water gets too hot. As for the current leak, it's his building that's getting permanently damaged... Appalling. But, we'll get there... very soon. And to think, we chose elegance!

      Delete
  4. This is ridiculous that you can't get the water situation taken care of. They probably know you are "stuck" with language problemsand stuff. I'd be losing it. I hope the beach move occurs … I'd like to see that scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners:
      I do flip my lid every so often but have for the most part remained surprisingly cool about the situation. By this time next week, all will be well I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. Will the water problems never end? How damn frustrating! And what a miserable start to the year! I'd just want to curl up under the duvet and hope that on emerging it will all have gone away.

    Those photos are your location in JANUARY? But I dare say the sunlight does not bear much relation to the out-of-doors temperatures - as evidenced by the pullover-wearing. Nevertheless it does stoke up a wish to emigrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      It was tough during the holidays when I was feeling physically so awful. Now that I'm feeling much better, I feel like I can take the water issues in stride.

      Daytime temps here have been around 16C. Morning temps around 8C. You'd probably be wearing a T-shirt.

      Delete
  6. What a bummer to have plumbing issues when you are fulfilling your dream of living abroad...not something one would have expected at all. And I suspect the management is giving you the runaround. But you guys seem to be handling the situation well and enjoying life in spite of the H2O problem. Here's to you! The beach sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank:
      Oh, the plumbing issues are just a blip in an otherwise wonderful existence. The management, I'm beginning to realize, isn't smart enough to give us the runaround. I think it's simply gross incompetence.

      Delete
  7. First I think it's ridiculous that the water heater isn't fixed yet and second I absolutely love these pictures!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kisatrtle:
      So, we'll just focus on the pictures! I take so many every day, I have a hard time choosing what to share.

      Delete
  8. Hello Mitch:
    Oh dear, the water situation seems to have got both you and it to boiling point. Surely there would be a great demand for an international register of reliable workpeople who charge a fair rate for decent work......this story could so easily have been written here in Hungary, the only exception being that we could be asked to add snow to it!!!

    What fun to explore again your favourite haunts with family. And a move....we are keen to know more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance:
      One problem is we're being served by the building's insurance company, which hires the contractors themselves. We can do much better. I told the building manager today that, if there is no further progress again tomorrow, we will hire our own contractors and will deduct it from our rent. There are a lot of very good local contractors.
      As for the move, we're keen to know more, too! Hopefully, we'll soon have some questions answered that could have a huge impact on our plans. Once that's resolved...

      Delete
  9. Appears from here that your landlord is on a permanent siesta!! I wonder how many times this has happened in your building?

    The photos tell all Mitch....how you are able to just forget your troubles and enjoy your family and this beautiful city.

    A move to the beach, eh? Can't wait for this adventure, and I bet you two can't either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      The owner lives in Barcelona. The building manager, I think, likes to be important but doesn't know how to be effective. He has never been able to handle the simplest problem. Fortunately, as we understand it, this is the first time anything so challenging has come up.
      As for the beach... or wherever... I don't call this "Mitchell is Moving" for nothing!

      Delete
  10. Matt and Lindy must be great support while you 2 go through this turmoil....really great timing for you to have them there. I think I'd be 'certified by now'...this kind of incompetence just isn't acceptable and wouldn't be here I would hope.
    Orange trees again....I remember last year when you showed them to all of us!
    A move? Yes!!!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      Matt and Lindy are two of the most exceptional people I know. What a joy.

      The oranges will be harvested next month and the trees will be in bloom again after that. It's gorgeous.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!