Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Bear With Me

After riding in the car for more than six hours, I was looking forward to checking into my room at the Mount Washington Hotel in the White Mountains of Northern New Hampshire. Unfortunately, I was a last-minute responder and there was no room at the inn.

At first, there was a room at the lodge just outside the grounds. It was an easy 1-km walk (5/8 mile) back up the drive. No problem for me. But the hotel staff laughed and said, "You shouldn't do that walk at night."

"Why?" I scoffed. "Am I going to get mugged?"

"No," I was told, "But you might run into a bear."

Anyway, that room disappeared while we talked, so I shared a room with my cousin the first night.

I went for a walk the next morning and discovered this was serious business. There were actually warning signs posted around the property. Still, I didn't see any bears — unless you count some of the guys at the wedding. I did, however, meet some very friendly horses... and an irresistible pig.

(Click any image to

ENTERING MOUNT WASHINGTON RESORT
(MOUNT WASHINGTON IN BACKGROUND).
MAIN BUILDING OF THE RESORT.
A COZY LITTLE PLACE.
THE WHITE MOUNTAINS.
A VIEW TO THE NORTH VERANDA.
AN INN ON THE PROPERTY.
THERE WERE GIANT CHECKERS, TOO.
ANOTHER INN ON THE PROPERTY.
BEHIND THE HOTEL AT SUNSET.
MOUNT WASHINGTON OBSCURED BY MORNING FOG.
A BRIEF DALLIANCE.
HE WAS A BIT CLINGY; SO, I LEFT WITHOUT GETTING HIS NAME.
RALPH.
GLEN ... AND FRIENDS.

31 comments:

  1. Love the pig - but who names their horses Glen and Ralph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      Definitely names I would choose. I had a friend with a dog named Douglas and know another with dogs named Steve and Joe. I also know someone with a son named Diesel. Go figure!

      Delete
  2. I thought "Running Bear" might work here also. Or is it too "straight"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank:
      Well, then you can just imagine where my brain went before reining myself in.

      Delete
  3. When was this? I thought you were back in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, never mind, I just read the previous post.

      Delete
    2. Kenosha:
      Glad you were able to catch up. Be prepared; there may be more retro posts to come.

      Delete
  4. Ala Charlotte's Web, I have to say that's Some Pig!

    Nothing worse than getting molested by a bear, lol. You know I'm totally giggling, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline:
      That pig saw me approach and came running. So sweet. I even gave him a cuddle. Not something I could imagine myself doing 3 years ago. (I DID have to wash my hands as soon as I could.)

      Delete
  5. I never realised what a problem bears were until we visited Canada. And they say Australia is a dangerous place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew:
      I didn't know they say that about Australia... well, except for the sharks and snakes and spiders and ticks and ants and fish and... oh yeah, the giant centipede. Come to think of it, maybe I DID know.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a magnificent resort! What a culture shock from Brooklyn for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know... maybe it's better to run into a bear than a cougar....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Glenn and Ralph are perfectly fine names for horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I agree. But then we had a cat we called Thelma.

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous place! ;) It looks like it should be on teevee..

    My present favourite new show - Mr Robot - did a lot of filming at Coney Island so I greatly enjoyed your posts which included it.. :) but then I greatly enjoy all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred:
      It was featured in the TV show "Ghost Hunters" in 2008. But I don't if that's something I'd brag about. I'll have to check out Mr Robot (never heard of it). There was filming for another TV show "Vinyl" while were there. Never heard of that one either and I was too tired to walk over those two days.

      Delete
  10. Pigs are adorable, noble creatures. It's too bad they're so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      Lots of vegans and vegetarians at the wedding. No pigs on the menu.

      Delete
  11. Mitchell I love you like my luggage but those ain't checkers. them's chess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      I wasn't very clear there. Yes, that is chess, but there was a giant checkerboard, too. I just didn't include a photo. Still, so happy to be loved like luggage... I think?

      Delete
    2. There is no greater love - apart from a good scotch. :-)

      Delete
  12. I looked for bears when we were up at Madeline Island, but like you I saw only a few couples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael:
      I looked for those black bears, but did see a lovable ginger one. I'm told they're not as dangerous.

      Delete
  13. Mt Washington is wonderful, did you get to the cog railway? For decades they ran coal fired steam up the hill, a real sensory experience.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!