Monday, July 3, 2017

Baywatch Boliches

La version español está después de la versiøn inglés.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON, AS I stood on our terrace, I noticed people standing at the shoreline all staring in the same direction. When I followed their gaze, I saw a lifeguard racing to someone's rescue. It looked like two swimmers were involved, one unable to get back to shore and one in the water signaling for help. I don't know exactly what happened, but four lifeguards assisted, the rescue was a success, and everyone walked away in good health.

A ring of plastic buoys was recently placed offshore. I don't know what it's for but it came in handy today. The swimmer held onto the rope until the lifeguard reached him.

Red flags were flying on the beaches, which means the surf is dangerous, and swimming is not permitted.

EL DOMINGO POR la tarde, noté de nuestra terraza que mucha gente estaba en la playa mirando en la misma dirección. Cuando seguí su mirada, vi a un socorrista nadando al rescate de alguien. Parecía que estaban involucrados dos nadadores, uno incapaz de volver a la orilla y uno en el agua señalando por ayuda. No sé exactamente lo que pasó, pero cuatro socorristas ayudaron, el rescate fue un éxito y todo el mundo caminó en buena salud. 

Recientemente se colocó un círculo de boyas de plástico en el mar. No sé para qué sirve, pero resultó muy útil hoy. El nadador se aferró a la cuerda hasta que el socorrista le alcanzó.

Banderas rojas estaban volando en las playas, lo que significa que el surf es peligroso, y no se permite nadando. 

MAYBE HE DIDN'T NOTICE THE RED FLAGS ON LOS BOLICHES BEACH AND ALL OF FEUNGIROLA.
TAL VEZ, NO SE DIO CUENTA DE LA BANDERAS ROJAS EN LA PLAYA DE LOS BOLICHES Y DE TODO FUENGIROLA.







FORTUNATELY, THE AMBULANCE WASN'T NEEDED.
AFORTUNADAMENTE, LA AMBULANCIA NO ERA NECESARIO.
THE LIFEGUARD MAN BUN.
LA COLETA SOCORRISTA.

28 comments:

  1. scary! but the lifeguards are nice hunks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get beyond the BuzzCutManBun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great life guards, might make me want to say, "save me' save me!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      I remember the lifeguard stands in Coney Island being always surrounded by teen girls.

      Delete
  4. PHEW! That was a close one! Yes, the sea looked pretty rough.....crazy why some people just don't get it.
    These photos are great, Mitch. I am betting the lifeguard service would want copies of these action shots!
    Hey, here's a part-time being their official photographer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Maybe on one of my walks on the beach (when those start up again), I'll show them some pics and see if they want me to send any to them. The sea here can be much worse than it appears giving the riptides. People can be really irresponsible.

      Delete
  5. Great action photos. So glad it ended well. I bet they would like to have the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      Thanks, Wilma. I'm going to show them to some of the lifeguards.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic action shots Mitch. Surf, winds and undertoes can make a moment turn into something very uncomfortable. These 'man bun'lifeguards should be commended.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      They do great work and often put themselves at risk for stupid people!

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear it had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      This was one of those easy ones. The guy could still swim, just couldn't get back in. What a relief. Next time maybe he'll follow the rules.

      Delete
  8. Swimming when a red flag is flying is the height of ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heron:
      I agree. It really angers me. They put others at risk.

      Delete
  9. WOW! Exciting. Glad it all turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      So was I. I didn't mind having a ringside seat for that.

      Delete
  10. Great news on your "no language barrier" mark! Woo hoo!
    Take care of that leg... yikes!
    Great photos here of the big save, and the lifeguard man bun (and tatoos).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      Antibiotics are finished this morning (and boy did they make me sick). Leg is healing and feeling well. I couldn't believe when I downloaded the pics and saw the tattoos and man bun given that I took these shots from so far away.

      Delete
  11. Yikes. Nice to hear everything ended alright. This is why I'm more of a 'lounge on the beach' than a 'drown in the ocean being eaten by sharks' kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Beer for the Shower:
      I swim sometimes, but never far out. I don't go in the water when the red flag is flying and says "Prohibited"; imagine that! Jerry has a thing about sharks! Damn "Jaws."

      Delete
  12. It must be Baywatch if there are bobbing buoys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      And unlike California Baywatch, the buoys (and girls) don't run around in red bikinis. They wear vivid green T-shirts or vests so they're easily visible.

      Delete
  13. Willym:
    I agree. And under the flag reads in Spanish and English, "Swimming Prohibited." AND there's a loudspeaker on the beach that announces the flag color and the restrictions. Lifeguards blow their whistles and often have to swim out to tell people what they should already know. And to top it off, people often argue with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear me
    this is another chapter in the long time book "Man and his self-delusion".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      I don't know how the lifeguards can restrain themselves from slapping some of these people. I was on the beach one time and heard a tourist argue when the lifeguard whistled for him to come back to shore, "I know how to bloody well swiim." A moment later, two lifeguards had to rescue him when he got taken by the riptide.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!